Investing in mother and daughter: Dámariz and Zuleika

In celebration of Women's history month, during this month of March, I want to share with you about the the privilege I have to work with all kinds of women in Ágape, some volunteers and others long-term staff. 

Today, I celebrate Dámariz and Zuleika, a mother-daughter couple who are both connected to Ágape in different ways.

Dámariz and I actually met over 10 years ago because her husband and Ruben were co-workers at Tyco Electronics. Their family came to our house for Thanksgiving many years ago....but then we lost touch.

2 years ago, Dámariz gave me a call because her daughter, Zuleika, was graduating from college but had a strong desire to serve in full-time ministry with university students. 

Zuleika joined Ágape as an intern last year and has been an amazing addition to the Campus team in Barcelona. Her vitality and commitment to students has drawn several students to the Ágape activities at the University of Barcelona. She has been able to have significant spiritual conversations with students who are seeking for hope and meaning in life.

Serving as an intern has been such a powerful experience that Zuleika has decided to join our staff FULL-TIME. She is currently meeting with people to share about her ministry to college students and challenging others to join her financial support team. We met last week to give her a chance to practice her presentation. I was convinced and joined her monthly support team!

Please pray that the Lord would provide for every need that Zuleika has as she builds her support team. Pray that she would be encouraged during this critical period. Pray that the Lord would move several new people to join her pray and financial team. Pray that Zuleika will finish soon so that she can return to campus to continue meeting students where they are and explain the gospel to them in a way that is true AND relevant.


Pictured left: Dámariz and I talk via whatsapp about decorations and refreshments plans in the last few weeks building up to the S.O.M.
Pictured right: Zuleika and I pause for a photo at the National Ágape Staff conference last November.

In the meantime, Dámariz and I have been getting reacquainted after a several year gap. Last winter, as we were praying together, I mentioned to her about the pre-marriage seminar (Seminario de orientación al matrimonio S.O.M.) that I was organinzing and she offered to help. 

Dámariz is an amazing baker. She contributed her talents and brought such beauty and joy to our S.O.M. through her decorations and desserts.

Dámariz has agreed to serve at the S.O.M. again this year and has gotten more involved. I am so unbelievably encouraged and impressed by Dámariz's leadership and servant heart.

Please pray that the Lord bring even more couples to attend the S.O.M. Pray for Dámariz and me as we work together to create a pleasant and welcoming environment for these  young couples, Christian and non-Christian, as they lay the foundation for their marriages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing a chapter - "graduating" another cohort of new staff

Meet the Monkey on Mondays!

Immigrant moms advancing together