How Much Do You Know?


This weekend Ruben and I attended a talk at church. It was advertised like this:

"Honey, We Need To Talk" 
Reflections on Marriage 
in a Changing World

We both understood it to be a talk about marriage and how to improve the communication between husband and wife. Living in a cross-cultural marriage, I always welcome tools that can help us communicate better with one another. I was so encouraged by Ruben's iniative to attend. He had worked since 6am that day and requested 2 hours off to be able to attend the 5pm event.



So, there was an aspect of individual marriage that was addressed, in reality, the presentation was actually about the role that women play in the church in speaking and in ministry. While it is not the topic we expected, it was an interesting talk that gave me greater insight to the historical views of women and their role evangelical church in Spain over the years.


Please pray...

--Thank God for Ruben, for his leadership in our marriage, and his desire to keep working on our communication.
--Pray that God would provide additional opportunities for us to keep learning and growing to nurture our marriage.


A final story from the weekend...

Much of my work is carried out in front of a computer screen. Since I work from home, sometimes it can be challenging to finish my work because a little someone comes in while I am still in the middle of a task.

Earlier in the week, Aaron came in and began to play and distract me while I was at the computer, working with a close deadline. I sharply reminded him that I was working and that I couldn't play now.

Later that evening, the Lord (and echos of Harry Chapin's poignant "The Cat's In the Cradle") convicted me and reminded me that AARON is my work. While it is important to be responsible to complete the ministry tasks my team gives me and to maintain a balanced perspective, the truth is that there is nothing else more important in my day-to-day work as a mom than spending focused time with him.

The next day I apologized for not giving him more attention. On Sunday evening, as I was working on this update, Aaron came in again, this time, with a game that, in Spanish, we call Mr. Know-It-All. (pictured left)




This time, I had learned from my mistake and decided to stop that very moment to play a round of Mr. Know-It-All.

Click here to listen to me lose a quick round.


Please pray...

  • Thank God for Aaron and his desire to spend time together.
  • Ask God to give me wisdom and sensitivity to know Aaron well
  • Pray that Aaron would desire to know more of God.
  • Pray that God would provide some good friendships with kids from church. Ezra and Abraham are two boys that he has mentioned from Sunday School that he gets along with.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing a chapter - "graduating" another cohort of new staff

Meet the Monkey on Mondays!

Immigrant moms advancing together