On a Moment´s Notice
Have you ever had an important detail slip your mind? Sometimes what is important then also becomes urgent. In addition to transatlantic travel, language learning and culture shock, missionary life brings with it additional administrative responsibilities that can sometimes be overwhelming. It´s in moments like these that God reminds me that even administrative contributions do matter in helping to build His kingdom.
Rebekah Hiney is an Agape missionary with the Campus ministry in the nation´s capital city of Madrid, population 6 million+. Every available person willing and ready to labor for Christ in this city is welcome and needed to help make a dent in reaching the 250,000+ university students with the gospel. Rebekah is pictured here with Zadith, one of the women she has discipled in Madrid. (To learn more about Rebekah´s ministry you can visit her ministry website.)
So, just before the Christmas holidays I got a call from Rebekah. It was lunchtime and Ruben and Aaron and I had just walked in the door from running errands (dropping of yet another form to get the government financial help that comes when you have a baby) when my cell phone rang:
"Jill, did you get the message I left on your house phone today? I also left you a text message on your cell phone. I just realized that my residence card is about to expire and I´m leaving Spain this Friday to go home for Christmas. I need a letter from Agape saying that I´ve started the renewal process for my visa before I leave. I´m afraid that if I don´t have this letter I won´t be able to re-enter the country."
Although I am tied to home right now during these first few months of Aaron´s life, I do have small windows of time available to serve. In less than 24 hours I was able to draw up an official letter for Rebekah and actually begin the visa renewal process.
On a different note, I´ve been praying for opportunities to get to know people in our little pueblo. There is a woman named Ester whose parents live around the corner from me. I see her out walking her dog every now and then. Last year I introduced myself and now we speak whenever we cross paths. From the interactions we´ve had, I´ve gathered that she´s a single woman, about my age and at the moment she´s unemployed. Yesterday I saw her and spontaeously asked if she´d ever have time to come to my house for coffee. I think she was surprised but pleased and said that she´ll take me up on my offer. We´ve tentatively set up something for early February.
Thank you for your prayers and your finances to keep me and dozens of missionaries on the field in a culture where evangelism and discipleship can be a long, arduous process requiring consistency over time.
Please pray for Rebekah and her ministry among university students in Madrid. Pray that God would use her to raise up young Spanish leaders who will share their faith with their peers.
Also, please pray for this upcoming visit with Ester. Pray that the Lord would provide opportunities to sow seeds for the gospel. Pray that He would show me how to encourage and minister to Ester.
Rebekah Hiney is an Agape missionary with the Campus ministry in the nation´s capital city of Madrid, population 6 million+. Every available person willing and ready to labor for Christ in this city is welcome and needed to help make a dent in reaching the 250,000+ university students with the gospel. Rebekah is pictured here with Zadith, one of the women she has discipled in Madrid. (To learn more about Rebekah´s ministry you can visit her ministry website.)
So, just before the Christmas holidays I got a call from Rebekah. It was lunchtime and Ruben and Aaron and I had just walked in the door from running errands (dropping of yet another form to get the government financial help that comes when you have a baby) when my cell phone rang:
"Jill, did you get the message I left on your house phone today? I also left you a text message on your cell phone. I just realized that my residence card is about to expire and I´m leaving Spain this Friday to go home for Christmas. I need a letter from Agape saying that I´ve started the renewal process for my visa before I leave. I´m afraid that if I don´t have this letter I won´t be able to re-enter the country."
Although I am tied to home right now during these first few months of Aaron´s life, I do have small windows of time available to serve. In less than 24 hours I was able to draw up an official letter for Rebekah and actually begin the visa renewal process.
On a different note, I´ve been praying for opportunities to get to know people in our little pueblo. There is a woman named Ester whose parents live around the corner from me. I see her out walking her dog every now and then. Last year I introduced myself and now we speak whenever we cross paths. From the interactions we´ve had, I´ve gathered that she´s a single woman, about my age and at the moment she´s unemployed. Yesterday I saw her and spontaeously asked if she´d ever have time to come to my house for coffee. I think she was surprised but pleased and said that she´ll take me up on my offer. We´ve tentatively set up something for early February.
Thank you for your prayers and your finances to keep me and dozens of missionaries on the field in a culture where evangelism and discipleship can be a long, arduous process requiring consistency over time.
Please pray for Rebekah and her ministry among university students in Madrid. Pray that God would use her to raise up young Spanish leaders who will share their faith with their peers.
Also, please pray for this upcoming visit with Ester. Pray that the Lord would provide opportunities to sow seeds for the gospel. Pray that He would show me how to encourage and minister to Ester.

Comments