Mari´s World
Since the last time I wrote the pace has picked up quite a bit. I started facilitating the visa application process for two new staff. I´ve begun talking about the possibility of teaching English to some of our Spanish staff. (This is an exciting option for me! Here in Europe, especially Agape Europe, a solid command of the English language is very important for giving and receiving Biblical teaching, ministry training and even for fellowship.) Also, as I mentioned in my last entry, I´ve begun coaching a few staff in their financial support raising endeavors.
Oh, and did I mention I had a baby?! (For details on Aaron´s arrival click here.)
In spite of the fact that I actually have less time than I did before, it seems that the Lord is providing more and more opportunities to minister to people. This past week I began connecting with Mari Angeles Bootello. Mari has been working as a staff person with adolescents for the last 7 years. She is incredibly gifted when it comes to reaching out to people. Her tenderness and sincerity help others open up to her. Her light-hearted spirit is especially effective when working with young people.
Last year she moved to Barcelona and in March she married Isaac Chamorro. They moved to Terrassa, just 20 minutes from my little town. Isaac is not on staff but rather works in the secular world as a transport specialist of medical supplies.
This fall, Agape has divided the staff in the Barcelona area into two teams: Barcelona Central and the Valley Team (made up of people who live in Terrassa and Sant Cugat.) Their ministry focus will be on socially and academically at-risk adolescents and their parents. Mari´s intital connection will be to teach Spanish classes to several Moroccan girls. With those that are interested she´ll be able to follow-up with social, educational and spiritual formation.
In spite of this exciting ministry and her incredible energy and initiative, Mari can become quite timid when it comes to developing funds to support her own ministry. Currently she has only raised 48% of the total that she should raise. Part of the hindrance is a weak Biblical foundation of what the Bible has to say about giving. Another issue is a lack of contacts and a lack of training in taking the initiative to meet new contacts. Even the busyness of ministry itself has hindered her efforts to raise up a solid financial and prayer team.
With this year´s emphasis from the national leadership for staff to be 100% funded, Mari and I have been placed together to help her reach her goals. While each staff person responds differently to the challenges of support raising, all of us need encouragement, ideas and accountability.
You may ask, "How can you meet with Mari with a newborn? Not to mention that you live in another town and you don´t have a car." So glad you asked.
Creativity and patience come into play as we launch our efforts. We are using a telephony service called Skype. It allows for free phone calls and even video calls through the internet and one´s computer.
In addition, since I use the computer to talk with her, I can have my hands free, which comes in handy when it´s time for Aaron to eat, as you see here. (Conversation with Mari Angeles-October 22.) We´ve gotten off to a good start but have had a few bumps along the way as I try to figure out some semblance of a schedule with Aaron. Please pray for consistency on my part to be available and faithful to Mari as we tackle these support raising challenges together.
We talked together about her minsitry and even did several role-plays of phone calls to potential supporters or "investors" as they are called in Spanish. Despite her nervousness, she has already followed through on several phone calls to "referrals," (friends of a friend). She´s trusting the Lord and taking steps of faith. (I found out later that these support-raising phone calls were the first that she´s EVER made to people she hadn´t yet met.) Now what she needs is a long-range plan, a pool of new contacts and God´s Spirit to move several people to give.
In the weeks to come, I will continue to meet with Mari to help provide the structure and the additional Biblical teaching she needs to take those steps of faith. By the way, Skype won´t be the only way we get together. Hopefully she´ll be able to make some trips to our house during these early weeks that I´m with Aaron; and once he´s a little older, I hope to go to Terrassa to meet with Mari there.
Please pray for Mari Angeles as she trusts the Lord to provide for her every need. Pray that she will remember that it is God who has called her to this ministry, not she who has chosen this ministry. Pray for courage for her as she picks up the phone to call people, as she shows up for appointments. Pray that her faith and her confidence will grow as she watches God in action. Pray that her ministry will flourish....starting with a solid ministry support team.
Thank you for YOUR continued partnership in prayers and giving for this ministry which allow me to be present in the lives of staff and other Spaniards. Pray that I would be salt and light to them, that I would remind them of the Jesus´ truth that brings hope, healing and life itself.
"May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it." -- 1 Thessalonians 5:24






Comments