Although this entry is posted in March 2022, just a few weeks after Michael's death, it was actually written 6 months after he passed away.
On February 26th, I flew to Florida to meet with my parents and my brother, Mark, Michael's twin and Mark's family, as well as Mark's family and Michael's surviving daughter, Sydney.
Generous friends and family made it possible for me to buy a round-trip ticket so that I could be there with my family.
As it is often said in situations like this, it was a surreal experience. My dad and I spent 5 days filtering through Michael's business paperwork and financial records. The funeral details were also prepared during this time: driving across town for the viewing of Michael's body, picking up his ashes, greeting Michael's ex-wife, Sydney's mom.
The
memorial service near Mark's place of residence was non-religious, but special. There were friends and business associates of Michael's as well as many friends of Mark's. Among the people who shared were my dad, my uncle Henry, Mark and from Michael's daughter Sydney.

North Carolina friends drove down and family in Florida drove up for the memorial ceremony and then later joined us for a meal as the long, sad day drew to a close.

I flew back to Spain on March 8 to prepare for a second trip to the U.S. a week later, this time bringing Aaron with me.
Our church family,
Church of the Holy Comforter in Burlington, North Carolina, came around us, especially my parents, to support and encourage us in so many ways during this time of mourning.
As the North Carolina obituary mentioned, the funeral was held there on March 18 with a reception following. So many people came out to pay their respects, not only to Michael, but to my family.


There is no way to give adequate thanks for the thoughtfulness and generosity from so many friends of our family.
The reality is that it will take time to set in and I mostly feel numb. I think it will be difficult to process Michael's departure, especially since I live so far away from where he lived. I think it will be a long process for me.
I've included just a few photos of important moments with Michael: graduation from high school, graduation from college, his wedding day....
Please pray for my parents, for Mark, for Sydney and for me as we continue to process Michael's departure. Pray for mercy, grace and hope even as we grieve. Pray that we would draw closer to one another in his absence.
Thank you!!!
Comments