Learning To Lead Like Jesus
In January 2020, when we still were unaware of the deadly pandemic that was about to hit, Garrick Roegner and I began to create the structure and curriculum for our experimental "Escuela de Lidreazgo Siervo/E.L.S." or School of Servant Leadership: a space for 14 current and emerging leaders to come together to read and discuss important aspects of leadership: leading oneself, leading a team and leading a movement.
After preparing our readings and reflections each month, we met online to listen to an guest expert on a given topic and then we broke into small groups to share our thoughts, doubts, questions and plans on how we want to apply the information.
This Nov 2-4, after more than a year, we gathered together in the same space at Mon Sant Benet (which I highly recommend when you come to Spain to visit!) for a E.L.S. final retreat.
For the final project, each participant presented his or her Personal Leadership Development Plan for the upcoming year.
In addition to the ELS work, we were also able to enjoy some of the special aspects of Mon Sant Benet, including a tour of the monastery on site AND a creative cooking workshop.
The ELS has been a pilot project, a first pass, at influencing and strengthening the leadership in Ágape. While it has not been perfect, overall, we consider the execution of this ELS to be a great success.
Below are a few of the comments that participants offered....
"I loved having this event at Mon Sant Benet. Thank you for making this happen. I really appreciated receving Pere Rosales' book. I am eager to read it."
"I think it is more than necessary that we can have a space where we can grow together as leaders, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for thinking of and providing this resource (ELS). I hope that there can be more initiatives like this in the future. "
"I think it is key - the aspect of focusing together on growth and community among leaders. I really liked that we were all together on the same level with the idea of learning from each other."
"I valued seeing that other leaders have the same difficulties and I do and I liked being able to connect as friends and companions helping each other personally and in minstry."
"It (the ELS) has been very useful in my daily life as a leader."
"The interviews of the guest experts is something that added a lot of value."
"I really liked the opportunities that it (ELS) gave me to grow as a servant leader. I have felt cared for and appreciated with the books that have been given to us, with the materials, the talks, the assessment test to know myself better and also the opportunity to be with other companions from Ágape."
"It has been helpful to discover who I am and what I need to lead better. I plan to share this material with others and hope to help others grow as leaders too. I loved the assessment test, the books and the interviews."
"Talking and working on leadership topics with fellow staff has been a great benefit. Priceless. I love it and I am very grateful to God for you and your gifts to make this possible. Thank you!!!!"
"I have begun applying this is my day-to-day work: putting others' interests before my own and before ministry plans. "
"The ELS has affirmed and encouraged me to be a better leader, primarily in my own life, and above all, strengthen the vision of leadership reflected in the Bible and in Jesus himself in serving others."
Please pray that God would continue to open doors for next steps to grow and develop this space where Ágape leaders can share and learn and grow together.
Comments