Details

Coque-a Catalan pastry- and café con leche.

They were small details that reflected a strong desire....to connect. She was so kind to come, the neighbor that I see on her balcony throughout the week. I was so happy to have someone over. After months of silently retreating inward, the moment had arrived to start reaching out again. Although we literally see each other from our balconies, we don´t really know what´s going on in each others´ lives. How could we know? It´s the hidden things of our hearts, not just the outward activities, that really reveal what´s going on.

I was kind of nervous about the details. It had been months since we talked last. What would we talk about? Would she be turned off by the emptiness and boxes in our house as we prepare to move?

After cordial hellos and the traditional 2 kisses, she simply opened up and shared her own details.....life is hard right now: laid-off, money is tight, a postponed wedding, a diagnosis of illness, a weary mom of a curious 2-year-old. Wow. So refreshingly transparent. Such difficult issues. What do I say? How can I help? Where to start?

My tendency....to lean on self, to will things to be better, to "fix" problems, as if it were up to me....but it is God who is God and He is also a God of details.

I was scrambling to think of another day when we could meet again. I explained that I couldn´t meet tomorrow due to a meeting at the ONG where I work...but that gave me an idea. Infinitas is a magazine recently created by Agape to encourage women by highlighting stories of women, just as they are, strengths and weaknesses, beauty and flaws, all together.

We visited the website and watched a video together. Then the time was up. I had to pick up Aaron. So, we walked out. We gave more kisses. What would be next?

The rest of the day has been filled with mommy tasks and correspondence. And prayer? Talking to the One who created my neighbor? Beseeching the Lord of All to intervene in her life, in her situation? What of prayer? Will you please join me in lifting up this special woman?

Oh Lord, forgive me for my self-centered projects. Please remind me that You are God and I am not. You are a God who cares about every detail and not one slips through your hands. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. Please come into the life of my neighbor in a supernatural way. Cause hope to well up in her life. Surprise her with resources she didn´t know she had. Help her experience Your love. Give her new reasons to wake up each day. Prepare her heart to know You. Allow her to praise Your goodness too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing a chapter - "graduating" another cohort of new staff

Meet the Monkey on Mondays!

Immigrant moms advancing together