Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

The behind-the-scenes work for ministry can sometimes seem unglamorous and uneventful, but I know that helping international staff to come to Spain is an important way to help open doors for the gospel in this country.

Due to the trend of increased immigration to Spain, the visa application system in Spain is heavily overloaded and the process seems to be taking longer and longer each year. About 4 years ago, I stepped up to help Agape Spain better facilitate the visa application process for its international staff. Up to now, the process has usually taken about 3-4 months per family; and my experience has been mostly working with Americans who come to labor with university students or athletes.

In this most recent case, for Jamal and Mariah (names changed for security reasons), their journey began 10 months ago when Allen, from a partner ministry, emailed me to say that this family, who represent 3 different Middle Eastern countries between them, wanted to come labor with Muslims in Spain. It is the Lord who has pointed them toward Spain and He has used religious persecution to lead them here. They fled the last country they were in because their lives were in danger. However, Jamal had to return to that same country to apply for the visa because it has been their place of residence for the last 5 years.

It has been a long, arduous process, meeting paperwork hurdles at every turn; but as they have persevered and waited on the Lord, He has proved His faithfulness in more ways than one. During his extended stay, Jamal had the opportunity to share the gospel with a young man "M" who placed his faith in Christ. And just this month, the Spanish Embassy called Jamal to say that he should come in to pick up the visas for him and his family. Our hope is for a time of peace and growth for them here in Spain as well as fruitful ministry. Below I´ve included here the details of Jamal´s encounter with "M" from his last prayer letter.

Thank you for your partnership in helping me to help families like Jamal and Mariah take the gospel to those seeking for Jesus. Please pray for them....to actually get the visas in their hands, for their transition to and settling in Spain and for physical protection.


Dear partners and Friends,


Greetings in the name of Jesus!  Hope this message finds you in good health—physically and spiritually.


In my last newsletter, I spoke about our summer project. We finished the project and then I traveled to [visa application country] in August to get resident visa to Spain.  I applied for this visa in [visa application country] because the Spanish government required as a rule to apply from the country in which my family and I have lived in the last five years.  I thought the visa process would take two to three weeks maximum, but up to now, we are still waiting for the visa.


"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8:28)


In the first 51 days in [visa application country], God used me mightily. What would have normally taken years to accomplish, took less than 51 days. One of many examples is a story about a young man-‘M’, who has been learning about the gospel through one of my disciples.  


This 20-year-old local knew that I was here in [visa application country] and got my telephone number from my disciple and called me. We set a time and location to meet.  He told me that he wanted to know more about Christianity and what it was all about. I shared with him the Good News from A to Z and asked if he wanted to reconcile with God this very moment.  He responded by saying, “this is what I’ve been looking for.”  We prayed and ‘M’ accepted Jesus as his Savior.  


Please pray for ‘M’.  After we parted, I felt tears coming from my eyes because I was able to see the fruit of our labor after so many years of sowing the seeds. In the first seven years we had prayer walks 3-4 times a week, driving through many streets and alleys. We also shared the gospel with many people.  During my time of waiting and visiting the Spanish embassy every Wednesday, I was able to meet with many local people and offered spiritual help. In this age of technology, I now have 10-12 people I communicate with weekly through internet as a way to disciple and encourage the locals. 


After 51 days, the Spanish embassy said it would take an additional one to two weeks more. God is good all the time.  A brother in Christ offered me a plane ticket to [another Middle Eastern country] to see my family.  I decided to take it and wait there for a call from the Spanish embassy.  


After four wonderful weeks here with my family, Jaklin and I decided that I should return to  [visa application country] because we heard nothing from the embassy there.  I have been in [visa application country] since October 24th, still waiting for the residency visa from Spain.  I heard someone say that “waiting is harder than hard work”.  I am living the hardship of that quote.


PRAYER REQUESTS
 Pray the Spanish visa will come very soon.
 Praise God that He has used me effectively during the 51 days here.  
 Pray for transition to Spain—housing, vehicle, adjustments to new neighborhood.
 Pray for availability in the French school (and school bus) for Matthew to attend.
 Pray that God will protect us during this time-me here and my family in Jordan.
                                                                                                                            
May the Lord Bless you, Jamal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closing a chapter - "graduating" another cohort of new staff

Meet the Monkey on Mondays!

Immigrant moms advancing together