Long Time No See

It's been 14 months since we've seen each other....but Sara (name changed), a fellow professor of English, and I have stayed in touch. Sara is Spanish but speaks amazing English. She wasn't my official mentor while I taught at the English academy from 2008-2009, but she and I taught the same age group (10-year-olds) on Mondays and Wednesdays.

She was so gracious and patient with me, answering all my questions, sharing her materials and encouraging me along the way.When the school year ended (June 2009) several of the professors got together for an end-of-the-year dinner. They surprised me by showering me with baby gifts, no doubt a result of her initiative.

After exchanging several emails in the last year, we finally got together today for coffee at Plaza Vella (Old Square) pictured left. It was so fun to see her. Of course, I had Aaron with me, which might be distracting for some....but she was so gracious and kind, holding him, walking him around the table as we got to know each other a little better.

I talked about my recent hernia operation and she shared about her battle with breast cancer and a recent reconstructive surgery that she had had. The she made a casual comment that caught my attention.

"During that difficult year as I dealt with breast cancer, an English friend of mine gave me a Bible to read. I read it a lot, especially particular topics like death and friendship."

I almost couldn´t believe my ears and at the same time I was not surprised. It´s been so long since I´ve met a Spaniard who´s mentioned any spiritual topic, let alone who owns a Bible.

I was so encouraged that I blurted out...."Have you ever been a part of a Bible study? Do you have any interest in getting together to see what the Bible has to say on different topics?"

"Well, maybe. I didn´t know that anything like that existed." I had hoped I hadn´t caught her off guard. At any rate, she was kind and we left the idea open to think about.

Later today I received this email from Sara....


Hello Jill,
I've just arrived home and I was talking to my sister about meeting you and the fact that you are in touch with Agape and my sister,Marta, said she's close friends with Gemma , European coordinator for Agape.  My sister translated some time ago "The Significant Woman." Do you know anything about that ? Kind regards....


Amazing. Despite feeling kind of rusty interacting with open, interested seekers, God was so gracious to orchestrate this meeting and this conversation.

Please pray for Sara and her sister Marta too. Pray that would could get to know each other better and that the Lord would open a door for the gospel with them. Thanks!

Comments

That is awesome, Jill! I need to talk to you about Significant Woman, because I think you've been through the material. Just to get your experience with it and I'd love to use the material somehow here in Austin...Lisa

Popular posts from this blog

Closing a chapter - "graduating" another cohort of new staff

Meet the Monkey on Mondays!

Immigrant moms advancing together